Thursday 22 January 2009

Cat's Eyes

GRD II, f2.4, 1/6, ISO 800, RAW

Todays picture fits again the 'non-photography' category. I quite like to sometimes break the rules and deliver a blurry and noisy photo. Afterall, I think technical perfection, although it is what most people strive for, is not important for a good picture. There are too many technically brilliant but boring pictures on the internet.
Not that this is the most exciting picture but sometimes a technically bad photo actually benefits from the noise and blur. I doubt, I would have selected this image if the cat would have been in perfect focus or there would be no noise at all, this picture would lack something in my view.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that technical excellence doesn't mean much for a good photo. Some of my favourite photos (not my very amateur shots of course) are coarsely grainy and blurry. If they were sharp and smooth, their impact would be spoiled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blur has its place in photography, primarily to convey movement (this works best when the background is clear), it can also be used to produce abstract images.
    On the question of the "perfect photograph" - my pet hate, I'm trying to think of an analogy, but can't at this moment - its like a functional item which has been designed not to perform the function but only to be looked at.
    (I'm afraid the above isn't well expressed).
    Just thought - photographs that owe more to Photoshop than the camera & photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree. Our eyes are not perfect either. In fact, most of our view is blurry because even perfect eyes only deliver a sharp picture in the centre. And a lot of people wear glasses. If I had been looking at that cat without my glasses it would have looked similar to this picture. Great shot. I like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike, you are right that some pictures have more impact because they are not technically perfect.

    Yesbuts, I think I understand what you mean. As for using Photoshop, this is ok as long as you use it to help get your vision across but not to save a bad picture.

    Thanks Marco, this is very interesting. Different people percieve things in a different way.

    ReplyDelete