Thursday 1 January 2009

Portrait Lens


Ok, since I had time today and nothing better to do I decided to see which camera/lens combination is best for portraits. I took the GRD II with 40mm lens, GX200 and LC1 which were both set at 50mm to give a comparable result. The 'I, Robot' head was around 30cm away from the cameras. All cameras were shot wide open so the GRD II at f2.4, GX200 at f3.5 and LC1 at f2.1.
Unsurprisingly, the LC1 gives the most pleasing bokeh and has a shallower DOF than the Ricoh cameras due to it's larger sensor, also the 28mm lens is not really suited for this and gives a big DOF. What was surprising though is that there is hardly any difference between the GRD II at f2.4 and GX200 at f3.5 and both look very similar, I had expected the GX200 to have a bigger DOF.

4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year

    I was surprised at the difference in colour - were all three cameras set at auto white balance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Newe Year to you, too!

    I found the difference in color also quite interesting and although I also took this picture with the GRD I, GX and R10 every camera had a different White Balance. The GX200 was the only one to get this right, the GRD I and LC1 were very close with the green cast.
    I could have fixed this but the WB was not part of the comparison and not so interesting here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cristi, this is an interesting comparison. I only have the GX200 out of the cameras you have tested but also find that the AWB is pretty good on the GX200.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am overall very impressed with the WB from the GX200 and found it to be very accurate under most light conditions.

    ReplyDelete