Monday 21 March 2011

Blinded by the Light


GF1, f5.6, 1/640, ISO 100, JPG, 40mm

I decided to use the Panasonic 20mm lens again today. Haven't been using it ever since getting the Nokton and for good reason, the 20mm lens is just...dull.
Technically there is noting wrong with the lens, it's sharp, it has good conrtrast, distortion gets corrected in JPGs and not only is it small but has also a very fast AF. But it lacks any form of character that I get from the better lenses on the GF1 but also on all the Ricoh cameras (maybe with exception of the CX/P10 lens). Guess this shows that you can fix a lot in software but you can't get back any character and for me this is more important than size, weight or price. I can only hope that Panasonic or Olympus are going to release some decent quality AF lenses and not more of the crappy software corrected lenses as currently available.

2 comments:

  1. So we have a choice: pleasing character or AF. sometimes I'll choose AF. But I know what you mean. Regardless, a good street photo capturing the perfect moment.

    Cristian, I'd take another look at the Panasonic Leica 45mm lens. In my opinion, that lens is another one with exceptional character. It served me very well while in India, and a lot of my favorite photos were taken with this lens. In part because of the rendering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment!
    Unfortunately for now we have to choose between pleasing character or fast AF, I just hope soon Panasonic will release a good quality AF capable lens.

    Tom has bought the 45mm and he is very happy, I might try to borrow it for a while but will probably end up buying it at some point because I really like the character and look of the picures. It shows that you get what you pay for and the most expensive m4/3 lenses are also the best m4/3 lenses.

    I really like your india pictures and have been following your blog daily, need to post my comments to your pictures.

    ReplyDelete