Saturday 16 November 2013

Day 102 - Morning in Luang Prabang, Evening in Nong Khiaw


Woke up early to go and see the alms ceremony on Luang Prabang and get some time for photography before my bus to Nong Khiaw.




Being out before sunset is something I wanted to do on most days during my trip but I am usually too lazy so don't always get up on time. It makes the day longer and means I could also go and visit the Wat Xieng Thong temple.




Both the ceremony and temple are worth seeing in the early hours, although some tourists seem to be misbehaving during the ceremony so try to get a spot away from other tourists to take photos from the side.



The mini bus left late, as everything in Laos, but it was an enjoyable 3 hour drive to Nong Khiaw. Here as with most other bus rides, they are only as enjoyable as the people you travel with and in this case it was very enjoyable.



After arriving in Nong Khiaw and hiking the kilometer from the bus station into town, it was time for lunch and after to explore the town itself.



Nong Khiaw is a very nice small town in the mountains and is almost split into a tourist and local area by the river running through it. Despite having quite a lot of guest houses and restaurants aimed at tourists, you can find some nice local places to eat and drink.


If you need a few days to unwind and relax in a hammock in front of your bungalow by the river, this is the place to be.
I have not yet decided how long I will stay here but might continue my journey north by boat to Muang Ngoi tomorrow afternoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment