Friday 17 January 2014

Day 164 - More Markets in Hue


Another rainy day here on Hue but it stopped long enough in the afternoon for me to go for a walk and take some photos.




Since my NEX did not arrive yet, I had to make do with the Nexus 5 again. Yes, I ended up at another market to take pictures and try my luck at street photography with a phone camera.




The Nexus 5 worked fine for the market photos but came more into it's own for the more slower paced landscape photos.




Late afternoon my NEX finally arrived but the battery was not charged so I had to head back to my hotel and charge it first before I could get any impressions on it. The first impression however was that the camera was nice and compact even with it's kit zoom lens attached.


Sure, it is not as small as the GR, nor does it feel as good in the hand and it's a bit plasticky but given the price it's actually very nice.




Once the battery was charged it was already dark and it started raining so I went for dinner and only afterwards when it stopped raining did I have a chance to take it out for a first shoot.

It performed well enough and the controls were not as bad as some people made them sound. sure, everything is trimmed for beginners and there are a few quirks but in  mode it is easy enough to change most settings without delving into the confusing menus.


3 comments:

  1. Pleased to see you have finally got hold of your Sony NEX.

    What is the situation regarding the Ricoh GR? Is it in for repair? When will it return?

    In the meantime, enjoy the NEX as I am sure you will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The NEX looks like a very good solution being much cheaper than the RX100, and able to take any MF lenses you have with you (if you can get an adaptor. The kit lens is reportedly not very sharp but a nice 24-75 range. I look forward to seeing how you get on with it. It is being advertised at £250 in the sales in the UK...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments!

    Calvin, the GR looks like it will need some more done to it so Ricoh are checking how long this will take and what the options are.
    The NEX does a decent job in the meantime despite it's limitations but it also offers some advantages.

    Peter, the kit lens is indeed not very sharp but the price was good and I will try to get some of my M lenses from London to use on it.

    ReplyDelete