Saturday 17 January 2009

SWPP Model

LC1, f2.4, 1/15, ISO 200, JPG, 90mm

Today, I went to the SWPP Convention and Trade show. It was interesting and I managed to find a few places I will try for prints and also to develop the films from the GR1. There were also a few events and classes of how to take good studio pictures. While I am not hugely interested in this I was hanging around to see one of the free classes to find out what a 60MP PhaseOne camera can do.
It might be impressive on a technical level but the wireless flashes used and the photographer managed to make this model look pretty ugly in the resulting picture. I think having the soft light only without a flash is much nicer and shadows are good and give depth to a picture. Using flash is always too harsh and cold no matter how you set this up to diffuse it.

6 comments:

  1. I hate flash with a passion and the only time I will use it in any of my shooting is as "fill in" in formal situations. For street photography, it is too intrusive. Good capture Cristi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flash is a no-no to me unless it's a must for subject in sharp focus under situations that such objective is impossible to achieve without flash. However, flash can be set up in a pleasant way or its negative effect can be used intentionally for unnatural results. It all depends on skills and what we want to express in the pictures.

    In my case, I've only fired the flash of my GRD for not more than 10 times... :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I missed this event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments, I guess we all agree that flash use should not be overdone and only used when really necessary.

    Yesbut, I wanted to post something about this on my blog before but forgot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cristi,

    Totally agree. My preference is also available light. There are uses for flash like people shots on a sunny day or when there is just not enough light to get a sharp picture. But even then there are ways to improve the flash light via diffusor or bouncing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree Marco, if there is no way around using flash you should at least try to minimize the impact of the flash.

    ReplyDelete