Thursday 8 January 2009

The Fog Rises

GRD, f2.4, 1/25, ISO 64, JPG

Thick fog was coming over London this afternoon. The whole day before we had a very strange light. It was kind of yellow but lacking any contrast so terrible for photography. Not that fog is much better in terms of contrast but it does give a great atmosphere if you get the exposure right.
I had three pictures I liked from today so what made me choose this one was the fact that it is shot at a low ISO. Did not want to give the impression that my GRD I is broken and I can't move it away from ISO 400 or 1600 ;). I added some vignetting and used Noise Ninja to remove some color noise but more to sharpen the luminance noise.

8 comments:

  1. The fog gives the picture a great atmosphere which I like.

    Missed all of that yesterday. Too long at work and the light was gone when I made it home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wouter, I like taking pictures in the fog, it creates a great atmosphere.

    Shame you misses it all yesterday, hope you'll have more time today to go out taking pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally succumbed to the flu so I couldn't get out to photograph the fog. As you said there has been some weird light conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :)
    So envious!! I wish to have this kind of fog in Bangkok. we rarely photograph the fog, except smog, smoke+fog, in Bangkok, where is one of the most terrible traffic jam on earth. This Cristi's photo is simple, but attractive due to its interesting fog background.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear yesbuts, hope you'll be better soon and can go out to take pictures.

    Thanks Bhuminan, we don't have fog very often here but when we do it's always nice to photograph.
    That's a shame with the smog in Bangkok, smog just does not look very nice in pictures. But you have other fantastic places in Thailand.
    Btw. I hope you can get your GRD II fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love shooting in fog, we get it so seldom here in Dallas. This shot is marvellous!
    So very atmospheric!
    Here is link to a shot of Texas Fog
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3434/3188076417_e198397ee9_b.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  7. D'oh! that shot was mine with my GRD :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your comment Liliana!
    Your shot is great, the b&w and grain together with the empty streets give it a fantastic atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete