Tuesday 10 February 2009

Blue Tunnel

GRD, f2.4, 1/10, ISO 400, JPG

Today I've had a first look at some of the comparison pictures I took and aside from tha fact that I need some extra high ISO pictures it was interesting to see how good the GX200 is at low ISO and how bad it really is at ISO 1600 where it is quite a lot worse than the R10. But more about this later.

The one thing I really like about small sensor cameras is the big DOF they give, this makes them a lot more usable in low light than any full frame dSLR. Sure, the dSLR will have clean files up to ISO 6400 but if a manufacturer manages to build a 2/3" or 1" sensor with only 8 MP and current technology it could deliver very good high ISO and coupled with a f1.2 lens would beat most dSLRs for low light shooting. When taking pictures like this is when I realize how good it is to have a big DOF.

6 comments:

  1. The underpass from Upper Ground to Waterloo Station via the IMAX.

    Nice shot.

    In the 80s early 90s,before they built the IMAX, this was a cardboard city where literally dozens of people lived. In the evenings it was a jarring contrast to see people walk pass the homeless as they made their way to and from the National Theatre and the Southbank Centre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Yesbuts!

    Very interesting, never knew that but then the first time I can to London was in 2002 and the Imax was already built by then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a bigger CCD (not as big as apsc) than the one currently used in a slightly bigger chassis if this is necessary to accomodate it would be perfect alongside a f2 lens (or mountable lens with f1.4 as a ricoh AF lens). Would also be nice to have shooting times as fast as the contax g2 or gr1

    If you like dodgy passageways you should try between the train and tube stations at elephant and castle :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom, your post reminds me to write what I want to have in a camera. I mentioned this after my day in Mongkok but did not yet egt around to.
    Hehe, Elephant & Castle is probably as doodgy as it gets in London.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The atmosphere of this image is very grim, despite the blue colors. It is wonderfully framed and has a great sense of depth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Wouter!
    I liked the blue colors but the homeless person and the harsh yellow light change the mood of the picture.

    ReplyDelete