Thursday, 30 June 2011
GXR Mount A12 - Q&A with Ricoh
Recently, I sent an email to my Ricoh contacts with questions regarding the new 'GXR Mount A12', the official name for the upcoming M-mount module for the GXR system.
Ricoh is busy finalising the module to be released but are happy to answer questions on it, so I thought instead of only me asking my own questions, I will collect questions from other people and send them all to Ricoh to answer.
So post your questions in the comments section below and I will submit them to Ricoh and update this post with the questions and answers I get. You can ask anything you like to know about the upcoming GXR Mount A12 module or the GXR system and I will try to get all questions answered.
Update 04/07/2011: I have forwarded all questions to Ricoh and will update this post as soon as I receive the answers. Please feel free to ask more questions in the meantime and I will forward them on after I receive the first answers.
Update 05/08/2011: I have not forgotten about the questions and neither has Ricoh so while some are now after the GXR Mount A12 announcement easy to answer, I will provide the answers to all questions.
Update 27/08/2011: Below are the questions and answers from Ricoh.
1. How is it possible to identify a compatible lens?
- There is a lens checker included with the mount and in addition we will inform our customers through our website, www.ricoh.com/r_dc.
2. Are there any known lens incompatibilities?
- Yes, the Hologon 15mm F8 from Leica.
3. Will it work with the Leica lens coding?
- No, the GXR mount is not compatible with the Leica lens coding system.
4. Will Ricoh produce any new M-mount lenses themselves to sell together with the M-mount module for the GXR? Maybe a re-release of the old GR lenses?
- There are no plans for Ricoh to produce any M-mount lenses.
5. Will Ricoh release any adapters for other legacy lenses or will this be up to the Chinese manufacturers? Especially an M to K mount adapter would be welcome in light of recent news, even if it's MF only.
- There are no plans for Ricoh to produce any adapters. 3rd party M to K mounts are currently available.
6. Is there any rangefinder coupling in the mount so it knows when the focus ring is turned and can magnify the screen to aid focusing?
- There is no rangefinder coupling in the mount. Please use the picture display or the VF-2 (optional) to confirm focusing. User can magnify the image to aid in focusing. The magnification can be set either to the full image or centre, to aid in focusing but also maintain the framing. The magnified area can be moved using the directional pad.
7. Is the view in framing and focusing mode imaged from the main sensor or via an ancillary imaging system?
- Both framing and focusing are imaged from the main sensor.
8. Does it do focus confirmation, and how is that implemented? Will there be some type of "peaking" function to aid in MF?
- No focus confirmation, but there is a ‘Focus assist function’ which allow you to view the peak contrast point in the picture display.
9. Will it use the same 12 MP sensor as used in the other A12 modules or will it be a re-designed sensor to work better with m-mount lenses?
- The GXR A12 MOUNT will use the same sensor as the other A12 camera units. However, the micro lenses are optimized for M lenses to ensure sufficient brightness levels even in the peripheral areas of the image.
10. Can we hope for a sensor without the anti-alias filter (like the sensors in Leica M8/M9), or at least a sensor with lighter anti-alias sensor?Can we hope for a sensor without the anti-alias filter (like the sensors in Leica M8/M9), or at least a sensor with lighter anti-alias sensor?.
- This sensor does not have an anti-alias filter.
11. Is there an image stabilizer in the module?
- No, there is no image stabilizer in the module.
12. Is there any sort of automated sensor cleaning system?
- No, there is no automated sensor cleaning system. There is an option to keep the shutter open even when the camera is turned off to allow you cleaning of the sensor. Please use air blower and be sure not to touch the sensor when cleaning.
13. Does the shutter stay closed to keep dust away from the sensor when changing lenses?
- Yes. Please turn off the camera when you exchange the lens. The shutter will remain closed when the camera is turned off (except the camera is in the cleaning mode mentioned at Q11).
14. What is the timed shutter range? Does it support Bulb? What is the maximum exposure length?
- The focal plane shutter has range from 1/4000 to 180 seconds
- The electronic shutter has range from 1/8000 to 1 second
- The focal plane shutter supports both bulb and time, and its maximum exposure length is 180 seconds.
15. What is the X-sync shutter speed? Does it support high speed sync with a dedicated flash unit?
- The X-sync shutter speed is 1/180 second, however in the case of manual mode the speed is up to 1/160 second. It does not support high speed sync.
16. What is the shutter design, horizontal, vertical, cloth, metal, etc.?
- The shutter is a vertical-running type, and metal.
17. Why is the GXR mount is slightly larger on the left-hand side compared to previous camera units. What is inside this part?.
- The motor for the shutter is contained in this area.
18. Will there be a new GXR body released, maybe with integrated OVF/EVF and rangefinder styling like the Fuji X100 or Epson RD1?
- There is no information.
19. What is the maximum weight of lens the mounting rails of the body can support?
- There is no official announcement or guarantee but we have tested up to 5kg.
20. Will a full-frame module be produced?
- There is no information.
21. Will it work with the VF-2 viewfinder? In other words, is the M mount module Live View capable?
- Yes, the VF-2 will work with the GXR mount.
22. Will there be an option to manually enter the focal length/aperture to EXIF?
- Through the My Setting menu option the user can enter the following, lens name, focal length, and F value.
23. What video specs are supported, if any? Are we going to be able to use the special filters in the movie mode?
- Yes, video is supported, 1280x720 HD, 640x480 and 320x240. There is no special filter function, however peripheral illumination correction, colour shading correction, and distortion correction can be used also in movie mode.
24. Will there be any more effects coming via firmware?
- Yes, we will continue to release function enhancing firmware for the GXR system.
25. What exposure modes will be supported?
- Aperture priority AE and manual exposure function are the supported exposure modes. In case of aperture priority AE, user will need to manually adjust the aperture ring of the lens.
26. Can it do sequence capture? How many raw exposures can be made in sequence, and at what speed? How many JPEG captures can be made in sequence and at what speed? Is the interval shooting supported?
- Yes, sequence capture is possible. In RAW mode 4 images (with noise reduction off or weak) can be made in sequence. In JPEG, 2.2 frames/sec can be captured. Finally, interval shooting is also supported.
27. Does it support all the same GXR A12 format proportions?
- Yes, all format proportions available with the A12 28mm / A12 50mm camera units are supported with the GXR MOUNT A12.
28. Following the acquisition of Pentax will there be a K module or any other mount modules?
- There is no additional information apart from the news release on the 1st of July.
Thanks to Ricoh for providing the answers.
Update 03/09/2011: Find below links to Ricoh's official FAQ pages with more answers.
GXR MOUNT A12 FAQ
Software / OS compatibility