Saturday 13 September 2008

Museums Walk & Ricoh Meet-up

GRD, f4, 1/35, ISO 64, JPG, 40mm

GRD, f2.4, 1/52, ISO 400, JPG b&w, 40mm

We had the first London Ricoh Meet-up today. It was very nice to meet people you only talk to in forums and have a chat. We talked about cameras, printers but mainly about photography and pictures, something that comes quite short in most forums. It was very interesting since we had a wide range of Ricoh cameras. We had the GR1, GX8, GRD I, GX100, GRD II and GX200 but also the Sony R1 and Epson RD1s. It was good to get some hands on with these cameras.
The best bit was then going for a walk in the British museum just before closing time. This was the first time I did this and a great experience. While most exhibitions are closed, the main hall is almost empty. The light was great and we were walking around takig pictures, each with his own cameras of choice. Next time we will have to swap cameras and see how we get along :).
Afterwards we went for dinner and had a look at each other's pictures. This was very interesting to see the differences but also similarities in the pictures taken. The great thing about walking around with people and taking pictures of a place is that you get to see things from a different prespective but also the similarities between some pictures.

Unfortunatelly I forgot to take a picture of the table with all the cameras so will have to remember for next time. Here are two of the pictures I took in the museum, more can be found on Flickr.

9 comments:

  1. We had a similar light situation in Cologne today. The geometric forms in the first one are really nice. In the 2nd one the light does not matter so much, probably, but it´s a nice example of the beautiful GRD noise/grain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment dlc!

    I will be in Cologne on the 26th after Photokina so we could maybe meet up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The roof of the Grand Court is something to see and provides so many photographic opportunities.

    Even though I do not own a Ricoh, had I been in London, I would have come to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That first photograph is absolutely gorgeous. Excellent Cristi.

    Great that the meet-up was good fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yesbuts, we do have to meet up sometime. Especially since we frequent the same places it should be possible to set a meeting up. Let me know when you're back in London.

    Thanks for your comment Wouter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cristi

    Remember that as well as the Epson, there was also my Sony R1 present, which is what you were looking at as we enjoyed each others' pictured at the Thai restaurant.


    It was a really good day ... great to meet you all. I think doing it again sometime is a great idea ... I too was excited by the similarities as well as the differences in how we were seeing.

    I felt a certain 'energy' as the four of us were scouring the museum with similar missions.

    All the best
    Glyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Glyn,

    You are right, forgot to mention the R1, too many Rs in the camera names ;).

    I greatly enjoyed the walk through the museum and it is definitely something we need to do again.

    All the best,

    Cristian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cristi, I don´t know yet if I will be in Cologne during the next week (as I probably will be heading to France), but if so, I will drop you a line! Would be great to take a short photowalk! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks DLC, if you're there let me know and we can meet up. Would be fun.

    ReplyDelete