Sunday 28 September 2008

Photokina 2008 - Part 2


Ok, yesterday's report dealt with serious compacts from Panasonic, Olympus, Canon, Nikon and Sigma. But what about the company that almost defines what a serious compact is all about these days and has been doing so for quite some time. Yes, I am talking about Ricoh.
While Ricoh did not announce anything new at Photokina, they showed the GRD II, GX200 and the R8 and R10 which were announced a while ago but are still some of the best serious compacts.

They also announced the Ricoh Candid Photo Project in cooperation with the Photographic Department at the Royal College of Art (RCA) in London.


I had the great pleasure of meeting the Ricoh representatives at Photokina and had a very nice chat with them. Ricoh is one of the few, if not the only, company that really values it's customers and their opinions. One thing that surprised me is that Ricoh does not only read the Ricohforum but also read the DP Review forum and are aware of the blogs related to their cameras. So they follow very closely what their customers think about their cameras.


During the meeting I was able to provide some feedback and suggestions to improve their cameras as well as my thoughts on the next GRD III. I highlighted the known issues and other things I would like improved that I mentioned previously on my blog and are also mentioned in the various forums (phase detection AF, noise reduction, dust issues, etc.). They were aware of this but could not give me any exact details as to how these issues can/will be addressed.


One thing they explained is why they had to drop the phase detection AF, this is not because they don't want to have a fast AF system or want to save money but because the company producing them stepped the production down due to lack of demand. Ricoh will look at alternatives and seeing how fast the Panasonic G1 can focus using contrast detection AF, I am sure we might not need phase detection in the future.

With regards to the GRD II and GX200 and the increase in MP, Ricoh does not produce their own sensors, like Panasonic, so they have to buy them from other companies. This limits what they can choose from and being a smaller company they can't dictate what sensors get produced for their cameras, like Nikon can probably do with Sony. They are aware however that their customers want less MP.


Ricoh bought the building pictured above in Ginza, Tokyo and will have a gallery on the 6th and 7th floor. I can imagine this should be well worth a visit and may also play host to their new camera announcement events.

As some of you might have noticed, Ricoh wants to step up their presence in the US and have Adorama and Popflash as the official shops.


Now you probably want to know what's coming out next from Ricoh. Well, they were very closed about this but ensured me there will be some "very interesting" announcements soon and they have a few interesting releases scheduled.
Ricoh knows about their niche, after all they created it and now everyone is following and copying what they did, and are also aware of the competition and what separates them from the competition. The plans for next year are to strengthen their position and compete better with the m4/3 cameras and the Sigma DP1/2.
There will be a new GRD III next year, as expected from the 2 year release cycle, but the interesting news is that it should showcase more than before why the GR line is their flagship camera.

I wrote about the first Ricoh London Meet-up a while ago and Ricoh were aware of this. They have expressed interest in taking part in another Meet-up where we can ask questions and provide feedback. This will be arranged together with Pavel from the Ricohforum and should take place beginning of December. More details will be provided when available.


On a Ricoh related note, Artisan&Artist* who have created the very stylish Ricoh GRD case plan to release new cases for Ricoh cameras in December and they displayed a nice leather half-case for the GX200.

Again, a big thank you to the people at Ricoh for meeting me at Photokina and I am very glad for the opportunity to also meet Pavel there.

If you can't get enough of Photokina reports make sure you also check out Tom's report.

15 comments:

  1. Excellent piece, Cristi. I am glad that Ricoh doesn't aim for the mass market, but remains commited to the niche market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Ricohs are still my favs and I'm looking forward to seeing what's coming up in the future...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for informative review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for part 2. It's great to read that Ricoh is following the forums very closely and really listening to the customers. Looks like we can expect an interesting new camera next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone...excellent report and I look forward to Ricoh continuing to develope its' niche! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The more I read your reports, the more I want to get my hands on a Ricoh. Walked along Tottenham Court Road, there was one shop that advertised Ricoh cameras but had none in stock. Can you recommend a shop(s) in London.

    By-the-way great reports.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great report and nice to read about Ricoh´s commitment. If they are to continue within the serious compacts niche I will sure be with them there. The GRD2 is an impressive little camera...

    And Cristi, I really like the 4th photo, you captured a great expression! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comments, glad you like the report. Ricoh is definitely commited to produce the best compact cameras possible but is also listening to it's clients. It should be very interesting to see what they bring out next.

    @yesbuts
    You should try R.G. Lewis near Bloomsburry and Sicillian Avenue or the Jacobs store near Tottenham Court Road.
    If you want to try a Ricoh out we could always arrange a meet-up.

    @dlc
    Thanks, the GRD I is very good for this due to the fast focus. I accidentally overexposed it too much but like it better this way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very informative! I'm looking forward to the GRD III but hating that the GRD II is letting me down after such a large investment.

    I hope Ricoh understands that fast contrast detect but still slower than phase detect will not do. The bottom line is fast AF >.2 sec full press. That's the standard where you just start to reach D-SLR or 35mm rangefinder performance, which is the type of camera the core users of the GR-D are used to. If it is not faster than the original GRD I, then they will have failed again.

    As far as "everyone wanting less megapixels", that is not exactly the issue. The true underlying issue is NOISE. If we can get a low noise sensor at 12 MP, that would be great, but if not, we are willing to sacrifice megapixels for lower noise (8 MP would be the lowest, but probably 10 MP would be most likely as long as there's improvement from the GRD II IQ. It's not that we don't want more megapixels, it's that we want low noise more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job letting Ricoh know our concerns!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cristi
    Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for this information, very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @fotogenic

    I understand how you feel about the fullpress lag on the GRD II and this is the reason I bought a 2nd GRD I. Still, you can work around it with the Snap mode.
    I have made a few suggestions during my meeting with Ricoh on how to improve this and they will look into it.

    I for one do not mind the noise at all if it looks like the GRD I noise and find pictures without noise a bit 'flat'. The only thing I want from less MP is a higher dynamic range and higher sensitivities. If they can do this with more MP without making the camera bigger or the IQ worse than on the GRD I, this is also fine with me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely one of the more insightful Photokina reports for the serious-compact photographer.
    I wonder if Ricoh may adopt a two-tier approach to their cameras: a small sensor and a large sensor line with a slightly larger form that "shirt-pocket"size. I think there are quite a few like me who appreciate the lens, camera design and ergonomics of the GR & GX, but also want the larger sensor IQ. I for one am quite happy for something a bit bigger if it means I can get rid of my DSLR--Wolfie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Wolfie, I hope Ricoh can fit a larger sensor but keep the size as much as possible. A two-tier approach would indeed be very interesting however.

    ReplyDelete