Sunday 8 June 2008

Ladywell Fields

GRD II, f5.6, 8 sec., ISO 80, RAW+JPG

We had great weather today and it being a Sunday I spent it mostly chilling in Regent's Park. Took some shots with the LC1 but this being the Ricoh GR-Diary I will post GRD or GR1 pictures.
This is an example of how the jpg engine in the GRD II ruins completely any long exposure. This is 8 seconds but it only gets worse from here so RAW is the only option. Don't think I need to point out which side is RAW and which JPG ;).
First time I took a long exposure I thought the camera misfocused or I chose the wrong focus since it looked completely blurry and washed out. After re-taking it 4 times I just switched camera and realized it's only the jpgs that look like this.

EDIT: Fixed the compression artifacts and uploaded the original image but can not link to it directly since it's on Picasa and I can only link to a resized version. When you click on it it will prompt you to download it though so you can get the original image to evaluate.

4 comments:

  1. That is a shocking difference between the two. That makes the GRDII, in your case, absolutely worthless as a jpeg camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The difference is too big to be ignored and from a jpg shooters perspective the GRD II is pretty much useless IMHO.
    I like to use RAW but would like the option to use a jpg every now and then but sadly with the GRD II this is not an option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing difference!! There is only hoping that the GX200 or whatever it is named, won´t have the same JPEG behaviour...When you mentioned the other day the Jessops prices for the GRD1, did you mean that it is still available new? That price tag, toghether with your comments, makes it an interesting option for people in a budget..

    Erik

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erik, I can only hope thet Ricoh fixes this jpg engine and does not even think of implementing it in the GX200.
    The Jessops price for the GRD I is for a new camera. I think they want to clear stocks since it's only available in stores and not online anymore. Am almost tempted to buy a new GRD I to have in case my old one breaks ;).
    For people on a budget there is no better alternative if this is the kind of camera you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete