Sunday 29 June 2008

Important Notice

LC1, f5, 1/160, ISO 200, RAW, 90mm

Went to a Cuban festival in Canada Water and then to Brick Lane to meet friends and watch the Euro Cup finals. While waiting for the game to start I took a walk and took some street shots with the LC1 and GRD II. The LC1 has a great image quality if it gets the focus right but the AF is too slow for street photography and the camera too big and conspicuous. Today the compact cameras are what the Rangefinders from Leica used to be a few years ago for street photography. The LC1 or similar bridge cameras, small dSLRs or Rangefinders are too big and conspicuous so people notice you easier than when using a small compact camera.
I need more practice with the LC1 for street photography and will have to start using manual focus although I think the least a camera should do is focus automatically and this fast and reliable. Everything I can do but I hate manual focus and don't see the point unless I want a specific effect.
This is one of my best shots from today and I really like how the colors came out. The look is definitely different than when using the GRDs.

2 comments:

  1. I like the color rendition. In no way hard like many of the digital cameras. And I am amazed by the crispness. ISO 200 is very useful for this camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The color rendition is definitely different than the Ricohs. With RAW once could make them look the same but I leave the colors how the camera renders them.
    If you process RAW ISO 200 is very usable and with the f2 lens there is no need to go higher in most cases.
    The crispness is what I really like on the LC1. It has a similar look as the GRD I but offers an own character to the images.

    ReplyDelete