Monday 15 April 2013

Spring Blossoms


GXR A12-M, f5.6, 1/380, ISO 200, RAW, 42mm (Ricoh GR f2.8 28mm L)

Spring is finally here with some nice weather and blossoms, I just hope the weather stays like this.
If this were Japan people would be taking pictures of the cherry blossoms even when just out to grab lunch, this being London however people are not really all that interested and just walk by without really looking.

Today, also saw a  leaked video of the new GRD V or just the Ricoh GR. You can view the video here and get a feel for what the camera will look like. I have been pestering Ricoh for details on their new cameras for a while but did not hear anything but some people certainly did to be able to not only leak the specs but also the full promo video. At least this will get people talking about Ricoh cameras again after more than a year of silence on their part. It is very disappointing though hat Nikon has beat Ricoh to the punch by announcing and already releasing the Nikon Coolpix A which seems more or less the same as the GR but without tyhe excellent Ricoh handling.
Having watched the video a few times and also looked at the leaked specs before I am still not quite sure what to think of it. On one hand it is finally what the GRD III or latest GRD IV should have been but on the other hand I am not sure if other than size and a newer sensor it really offers that much more over the very capable A12 28mm module.
I am certainly curious to try it out and will try to get a sample to compare it against the older GRDs, the GXR A12 28mm module and the GXR A12 Mount with GR lens.

2 comments:

  1. I love your cherry blossom photo. You're right about how English people (the majority) just ignore such a beautiful Spring time occurance. My Japanese wife suddenly becomes happy at this time of year.

    As for the 'GR'... It looks quite capable indeed, and does still seem to cling on to the basic GR design ethos in most ways. All the GR fanboys have different needs and wishes for the new model... it is actually quite funny reading the latest forums.

    I think the new sensor is a major leap forward, and the lens looks like it has had a total redesign. I hope it retains all the speed and usabilty of previous GRDs. I do hope it has SNAP or prefocus (can't see why it wouldn't).

    Once again, it has grown a few more millimeters. But we all do get bigger waists as we get older!

    I won't rush out and buy one until the excitement has settled. My GRD3 still does a job.

    I look forward to your views and/or review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Bill!

    I am sure with a Japanese wife you are not the person to ignore the blossoms, I really liked the atmosphere in Japan during this time and can see why people would become happy.

    The new GR looks great, I was and am still a bit sceptical but can't wait to try one out.

    ReplyDelete