Friday 6 June 2008

New Camera in Town

GRD II, f2.4, 1/30, ISO 200, RAW

Finally received my Panasonic LC1 today :D. It managed to fly halfway around the world in 2 days but from customs to the depot, where I even had to pick it up myself as to avoid further delays, it took 5 days! Typical efficiency in this country ;).
Anyway, enough rambling. Now on to the camera and most important the handling.
Wow, what else to say, the camera looks great and feels great. Like the GR cameras you can feel the quality when you hold it. Unlike the GRs it is big and heavy but does not feel 'too big'. It is not a camera for your pocket but the good news is it fits in my bag. with the UMPC and GRD lenses plus other accessories and stuff I carry with me.
The controls are great, everyone who has used a manual film camera will be straight at home and you never really need to go in to the menu. This was the main reason for me to get this camera although I had more than enough cameras already. Still it intrigued me and it does look great plus it has some of the best controls. Why do I say "some of the best controls" and not best although it is like a manual film camera? Simple, I think in a digital camera (where you use the screen) the GRD controls work a bit better although the manual focus is great as is the zoom.
The image quality in jpg (did not test RAW yet) is very good and images have a different look and feel about them. As for overall IQ, the LC1 is very close to the GRD I but has higher DR. It has a 2/3" CCD with 5MP but the overall detail and noise levels so far seem comparable to the GRD I or GX100.
The bounce flash is very nice and I sure hope Ricoh can implement something similar in their next GRD and GX cameras.
Overall I am very happy with the purchase and need to use it more to get a better feel for it. But since I evaluate cameras in the first 5-10 minutes whether they are suited for me I can say that the LC1 passed easily. It is big and heavy so I won't lug it around every day so don't expect a LC1 Diary ;). But when I am out on weekends or trips it will be there alongside my GRDs.

Here one random picture I took today. It is straight out of the camera and unprocessed.

LC1, f2, 1/25, ISO 100, JPG, 90mm

5 comments:

  1. Wow Cristi. That looks fantastic. I was pretty curious about the arrival of the LC1, but that camera has the looks. A comparable camera by Leica would be the only way for them to survive in my opinion.
    I like how the image is rendered. Pretty filmlike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouter, this camera does have the looks and feel to it. Very impressive although I do prefer the smaller GR cameras to it.
    The LC1 is better than the Leica Digilux 2 since it is less flashy and the handgrip does make a big difference IMHO.
    It does have a different way of drawing than the Ricohs but I found that b&w images are very close.
    Need to make a comparison at some point when time permits.

    I hope to see a LC2 or similar model at Photokina later this year. A camera halfway between the LC1 and LX2 would be perfect, same controls and lens but smaller size.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely agree with you. An APS sized sensor is not the real answer. Something in between might be the real deal. I would like to see a camera halfway between the LC1 and the LX2 too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a "cult" camera indeed!!

    I love the idea of having as many manual controls as possible, and an aperture ring in the lens shurely "turns me on"..

    Reminds me of my boxy old Leica M7, with that classic look.

    Congrats, will be looking forward to some results!!

    Erik.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The classic status and old style controls are great.
    I think this is as far as I would go towards a bigger sensor. If it gets bigger the look of the images changes and I prefer the small sensor look.

    ReplyDelete