Monday 28 April 2008

Sunset

GRD II, f3.2, 1/15, ISO 80, RAW, 40mm

It is very simple to take a picture of a beautiful sunset or sunrise and have it look good. I mean, you can point any camera at it and chances are it won't turn out disapointing. What makes it difficult is being in the right place at the right time since even a short walk for 5 minutes can mean that the best light is gone and what remains is not nearly as impressive.
This happened to me today, I got out of the cinema and saw this great light in the sky, perfect to take a picture. But how do you take a nice picture with a 28mm or max 40mm lens when you're in the middle of houses. Even a short walk to the Thames (and I walk quite fast) was too long to capture the best moments of this. So I tried to make the best out of the situation and took a few shots anyway. This is the one I like best out of the few shots I took.
Usually I am not a big fan of sunset/sunrise pictures since I believe there are to many of these already and as mentioned it is not that difficult or challenging if you're in the right place at the right time. Still, I like taking these shots and am also interested to see how the GRD II handles them. The higher DR and lower noise of the GRD II really help here although you start to notice for these shots the limits of the small sensor.
Then again, limits or not, as long as the camera is small and can be always available you won't miss out on a photo opportunity. So the pictures are always better than no pictures with a dSLR that would sit at home gathering dust. At the same time it is more challenging to try and push the limits of the equipment you have. This applies to every camera you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment