Saturday 3 May 2008

Dandelion

GRD II, f4.5, 1/620, ISO 80, RAW

It was a GR1 day today so I took the GR1 and went out to take pictures. Took quite a few street shots with my GR1 and also some GRD II. Went to Brick Lane so it made for some nice and interesting shots. This shot is however not from there and I took it this morning on my way to the train station. I know, it seems like May is a month of flower shots so far but I just needed some color on my blog. After the rain recently it is nice to have some warmer colors and flowers but also to get a contrast to the street shots I posted.
While in town I looked to get a used Panasonic LC-1 but could not find one, only the Leica Digilux 2 but as usual the Leica is overpriced and you pay more for the brand. The people in the shops however were more impressed by the GR1 I had with me and praised the quality of the lens. Overall the GR1 is a great camera but film just does not work for me and I prefer digital for all the advantages it offers.

2 comments:

  1. Like you I am very interested in the Panasonic LC-1, but also the Leica D2. I love the design and the lens of that camera. For me, that is how my camera should look like.
    I had an e-mail conversation with Mitch Alland about street photography, a DSLR as used camera. He was still in doubt about de D300 as street camera, but really didn't want a Leica M8.
    I expressed that I would prefer to see a D2 looking camera with a 28-50mm lens, optical viewfinder, and a medium sensor (APS-sized).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the design is great on the camera but it is bigger then I thought, a D40 or E-420 are actually smaller. The lens is great though and for me it would be just to have these controls on a camera.
    Photography for me is about the fun of taking pictures not about pixelpeeping at the final image quality. This is why other than the Ricohs this would be the only camera I am interested in and why I dismissed the DP1 after handling it for a short time.
    A dSLR is too obstrusive and the mirror slap is not good for street photography. Still, I believe for street photography the Ricohs are best due to the size, design and intuitive controls plus snap focus.
    A Leica M8 is a nice camera but too expensive for me, a Epson RD1 would be my choice but even this is too much for a complement camera to my GRDs.
    Same as you I would love to see a camera with the D2 controls but smaller (think GX100 size or slightly bigger) with a f2.0-2.8 lens from 28-50mm but separeta OVF in the same high quality as the Ricoh GV1 and a bigger sensor, 2/3 will do for me but only 8MP.

    ReplyDelete