Wednesday 7 May 2008

The Door

GRD, f4.5, 1/400, ISO 200, JPG b&w

Usually you always hear not to take pictures at midday since the light and shadows are harsh and it is difficult to get a good dynamic range and tonality. Well, for me this is the best time to take pictures. For one I really like the dark shadows and harsh light with the reflections you get during that time. Also I like contrasty b&w images so this is the perfect time to get the images without the need to post process.
Took this one while out for a walk today during lunchtime and the only editing is some sharpening to get the noise slightly more pronounced. I always use ISO 200 or 400 with the GRD I for b&w images because I get more noise in my images and I prefer this.

4 comments:

  1. Is photography about dynamic range or about selectively leaving behing information? Does a photograph become better with shadow detail? I think it is still about making choices, emphasizing your subject. So unlike modern day digital photography, dark shadows still can make a photograph so much stronger. And your photograph is a very much proof of that. Good work Cristi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Wouter. Always very interesting to hear your view on things.
    I agree and find it important to go against the common "rules" and try to work with instead of around the limitations presented by the gear, weather or subject. The final picture is the only thing that matters and if it works for the viewer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cris, this shot is plenty misterious to me..The narrow street, A big coloured guy opening a door in a place that seems strange, like under construction, where is he going? is it his home or some warehouse in which he keeps his stuff (whatever that may be)..? It´s probably only a contruction site, but I watched it for a while, trying to figure it out and it left me this feeling, like wanting to know more...

    Regarding the suposed "golden hours" of the day to photograph, unusual makes interesting..

    Cool, keep braking the rules!!

    Erik.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Erik.
    The guy looked pretty strange in the narrow street and when he reached for the door I knew that this is the time to take the shot. It is indeed only a construction site and he got probably back from his lunch break but I am glad that it is intriguing to figure out in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete