Sunday 25 May 2008

Shoes on the Danube Bank

GRD, f2.4, 1/760, ISO 100, JPG b&w, 40mm

"The composition entitled 'Shoes on the Danube Bank' gives remembrance to the people shot into the Danube during the time of the Arrow Cross terror. The sculptor created sixty pairs of period-appropriate shoes out of iron. The shoes are attached to the stone embankment, and behind them lies a 40 meter long, 70 cm high stone bench. At three points are cast iron signs, with the following text in Hungarian, English, and Hebrew: "To the memory of the victims shot into the Danube by Arrow Cross militiamen in 1944-45. Erected 16 April 2005."

This was quite a striking image and a shot I had to take with the GRD I for the b&w quality. I know I said it before but it is in my opinion the best you can get from any camera and this shot needed to be in b&w for me to work. I used the 40mm lens and the lens wide open to get a shallow DOF but overdidi it slightly with the contrast and had to pull back the highlights to give the water more texture.
I know, I have posted only b&w pictures from Budapest but I promise tomorrow's picture will be in color ;).

3 comments:

  1. I really like the composition. It works well with the textures and the background.
    This is an example why I opt for the RAW files to process. I have more recover options and I can emphasize the textures of the wall a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving picture. As different as all the cultures make us, we human beings are so alike, we all suffer and cry in the same ways, we laugh and love the same, and we all share memories of pride and shame...

    Lovely picture!

    Erik.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments!
    I really like the powerfull message this send out. Tried a few different compositions without the city scap in the background and only the river but they did not work as well.
    Works like these are very important to remind us of past mistakes and hopefully help in avoiding the same mistakes in the future.

    ReplyDelete