Tuesday 4 November 2008

Ricoh GR1 - Day 2


While the weather was again not very good, I still went out after work to take some pictres with the GR1. The ISO 200 film is however very limiting and I hope I won't end up with a bunch of blurry pictures due to camera shake. The biggest disatvantage of film is that it is very restrictive an one can not just change the ISO, color/b&w and other setting as easy as on a digital camera. Everytime I shoot film I wonder if the better image quality really makes up for the lack of flexibility.

I really like the tunnel here and will definitely return for more pictures at some point.

As to answer my own question, the image quality is not better so it does not make up for the lack of flexibility. Let me set it straight, the image quality can be better if you pay a lot for processing. The good news is that most pictures were actually not blurry as expected.

7 comments:

  1. I think to turn to film rolls once more requires quite a bit of endurance, but for me it´s always worth the pain. Taking pictures with my Lomo LC-A, my Canon AE-1 or even the old M3 of my grandma is a great feeling, and normally it will also result in some nice pictures. Good luck with the GR1 - I´m anxiously awaiting the results! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cristi
    I have found another well worth visiting location - the recently opened Saatchi Gallery, (its less than 5 minutes from Sloane Square underground station).
    What makes it worth visiting:
    apart from the art, to see how an old building has been transformed into a brilliant space, but most of all photography is allowed in the gallery (the lighting is superb).
    Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, usually film is really forgiving in relation to shake, even more than digital and been able to rely more on your basic photographic instincts is always rewarding.

    I'm sure some nice work is going to come out from it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only way to overcome the issue of not be able to change ISO, colour and B&W on traditional 35mm is to pick up an old APS film camera instead. APS was designed to change film in the middle of the roll. Some APS cameras did, however, not support this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. dlc, I am also awaiting the results. It's always great to see the results so it'w worth the hassle but I would not do it mor often.

    Thanks for the tip yesbuts, I will definitely check this one out. The pictures on your blog look good.

    Thanks Alvaro, I hope my instincts are good enough to yield some decent results :).

    Marco, the GR1 rols the film in instead of out so I could rewind it and shoot the remaining frames with a normal film camera. This is great but now that I started with ISO 200 I will have to finish it ;).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the close up, and the dial is a nice suggestion for a GRD3. And you are right, I should pick up a roll of film again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the dial, would be good in a GRD 3, although the zoom bottons work very well for this, too.

    ReplyDelete