Tuesday 18 November 2008

Running Ahead

GX200, f3.6, 1/200, ISO 64, JPG b&w, 24mm

I mentioned it before but I really like the GX200 JPGs at ISO up to 200. They are very good and I have no problems with using them. Especially the b&w JPGs finally look more like the GRD I. No idea what went wrong with the GRD II but for a flagship camera to have such excessive noise reduction in JPGs that can't be turned off is not good. The GX200 and even R10 are a good step in the right direction even if they are still not where the GRD I was.
The handling of the GX200 is great but not as refined as the GRDs, you can also not quite use it with one hand as well and the GRDs just 'feel' better.
One thing though if you consider the GX100 or GX200, get the LC1 lenscap. This is the best accessory Ricoh produced and will make your life much easier, the lenscap is a pain. It is a simple but great design and if you search about it you will see adaptations for the Sigma DP1 and the Panasonic LX3.

11 comments:

  1. So, that's an in-camera JPG photo? Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always like looking at your photos as they are a challenge to identify the location.

    My guess the slope down to the underpass on the north end of Blackfriars Bridge.

    Have you visited the Royal Festival Hall to see the "World Press Photo 2008" exhibition? - well worth a visit.(finishes 8th December, so you have plenty of time)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great image Cristi! Very Nice perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Andrewt, I am also quite impressed with the in camera JPGs. This one is not processed at all.

    Yesbuts, I need to have a weekly challenge for you to figure out the place. You are again right about the location.
    Thanks for the tip with the Royal Festival Hall, will try to go there tomorrow.

    Thanks James, the 24mm lens helped to get this perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent photograph and I really like all the reflections of the man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Wouter, the reflections ans lines were what caught my eye while walking up the ramp.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Christi,
    To the contrary, I have found the original lenscap a style to use, which is a reason why I like the camera. BTW, I have come across some users (in some fora)that dust gets into the lens through the crack of the LC1.

    Good photo.
    Nevin

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi cristi, first I wanna tell you that your blog is really great! I've got 1 question. when you shot RAW pics with your GRD what are your settings. have you the same settings for JPGs and RAW pics?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nevin, you are the first one to say that he liks using lenscaps. I find it annonying to remove and have to store somewhere everytime I want to take a picture. But I did not see any problems with dust, it should not be an issue if you keep the camera in the case.

    Thanks for your comment Telemarco, glad you like reading my blog. I always shoot the RAW files with the JPG settings. On the GRD II it is more to see the scene in b&w or with the different settings but when processing the RAWs I don't usually stick to the camera settings. But I always have a general idea of how I want the picture to look so I process the JPGs and RAW files accordingly if I can't get it in-camera the way I want.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks a lot for your answer.
    I've got not a GRD II. I bought a new GRD I and I'm very happy with the GRD I.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For the GRD I, I started to shoot only JPG recently and don't use RAW anymore or only in certain cases where I need that bit more dynamic range or detail.

    ReplyDelete