Saturday 11 October 2008

Moonrise

GX100, f4.4, 1/80, ISO 80, RAW, 72mm

THe weather was great today so I took a long walk through parks, woods and finishing at the Thames Barrier and then O2. I used mostly the GRD I and had the 40mm lens with me but I took this picture with the GX100 since I needed more reach. It would have been good to have a faster lens on the GX100 since f4.4 at telephoto is not very good. This is where the LX3 is better although the lens seems to suffer from very high distortion and CA so it seems Leica lenses are not as good as Ricoh lenses.
I added vignetting but did not change it much aside from this, I think it works better with the vignetting.

5 comments:

  1. Surprised that it was at ISO 80. Why did you choose this setting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful geometry. I like the vignetting, too. Works great here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments dlc!

    Yesbuts, I chose ISO 80 because it is the base ISO and gives me the highest dynamic range and finer tones without noise. While I like noise in most of my pictures I found it did not work here. The image stabilizer and great grip allowed me to get a sharp picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You used the long end of the GX100? It is very sharp indeed. I don't know the last time I used the long end. Maybe I took 5 photographs in total with the 72mm lens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wouter, I almost always use only the long end of the GX or GX100. This is the only time I actually need them as the GRDs are better with the 21mm and 40mm adapters so they cover almost the entire range of the GX anyway but have a much faster lens. I don't see any problems with the sharpness at the long end of the GX100 but I do have to sharpen the images more however.

    ReplyDelete