Friday 24 October 2008

People in Pictures

GRD, f6.3, 1/45, ISO 64, JPG

I know, I took a picture in the same place not too long ago but I've met friends at Canary Wharf and the light was fantastc so I could not resit taking more pictures there.

One thing I have to say is that the GRD I never ceases to amaze me as to how good it can be, even when used in difficult situations. I've used it to take pictures in the pub of friends and while usually I use ISO 800-1600 and mostly color (works great with some noise reduction applied), I decided to use only b&w today and I am very impressed with the quality of the pictures. When the light is low the GRD I has big problems to focus and most of the time it can not focus at all. For this reason I normally just stick it to Snap focus but this time I just fullpressed the shutter and hoped for the best. The focus is spot on in 80% of the shots and I have no out of focus shots. Using ISO 1600 in b&w without underexposing produces nice, crisp pictures with plenty of detail (considering the small sensor and high ISO).

This reminds me to get my high ISO/low light comparison done as soon as I get my GRD II back and manage to borrow the RD1 as the 4th camera since the LC1 us useless in low light and high ISO there is 400 so not high at all.

4 comments:

  1. It's a shame the man is looking out and not into the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a picture where he is looking at the picture but I wanted him to walk out of the picture and preferred this over the other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally agree with yesbuts. Now he seems not interested in the photographs. I love the light and shadows though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Wouter.
    Maybe you two are right and I should have used the picture where he is looking at the photographs.

    I prefered it since with the title it made it contradict itself, the title is "People in Pictures" while he clearly is walking out of the picture. So the title relates to him and my picture, not to the pictures on the wall. At the same time I like pictures where people are walking out of them instead of into the frame, gives more dynamic to a scene.

    ReplyDelete