Tuesday 28 October 2008

Site Office

GX100, f4.1, 1/250, ISO 200, RAW, 24mm

Saw this while walking in Greenwich today and found it really funny. Cropped to 16:9 format, sharpened it and increased the contrast. Now the picture is mre crisp and comes close to the GRD I quality. Overall, I am more comfortable now with the processing of GX100 RAW files and can get out more although the dynamic range is pretty limited, especially when compared with the GRDs.
It is a great camera though and the LC-1 lenscap is genius and a must have. Only problem is the case which is not optimal to get the camera out fast unlike the GRD case.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder how many people will crick their neck looking at this photo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea Cristi. I really like it.

    When you say that the dynamic range is more limited of the GX100 than the GRD2 I really should try that camera. Maybe I should get a GRD2 after all.

    Yesterday I read that Erik Ahrend (small sensor diary) has bought himself a GRD2 (and he sold his LX2!!!!). He has become a Ricoh man with a GX100 and a GRD2.

    Cheers,
    Wouter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wouter, the dynamic range is more limited even compared with the GRD I and the GRD II is very good in that respect, you can recover a lot of highlights. The GX100 at least does not have a very high dynamic range, think the GX200 should be better in that respect but I could not try it.

    I've read Erik's post at dpreview, he's been intrigued by the GRDs for a while. Think the controls on the LX2 are too fiddly and no match for Ricoh's excellent controls and with the GX100 doing most of what the LX2 was doing it became too big an overlap for him.

    If you haven't used a Ricoh camera you wonder what all the fuss is about but once you use one you can't go back to fiddly and illogical controls. The LC1 and RD1 are the only other digital cameras I like using.

    ReplyDelete