Thursday 28 August 2008

Ricoh GR Evolution - Wishlist & Thoughts



I received my 2nd and new GRD I camera today :). Now if you followed my blog you will probably know that I planned this for a while but if you ask why I would do this, here's why. I bought it for two reasons, first and foremost because it is the best camera I ever owned and second, the warranty on my old camera ran out so I wanted a spare in case anything goes wrong.

I wrote a lot and posted different comparisons between the GRDs recently so here is my take on the GR line and how I would like to see it continued.

The GR line has always been different, it was all about the handling and usability instead of features. The GR1 is still a highly regarded film camera and people are impressed with the lens and quality of it. The GRD I produces some very unique pictures with a different look and feel, especially in b&w. The GRD II is one of the best compact cameras technically but produces some of the worst JPGs, too. Unfortunately the GR1 is film, the GRD I is discontinued and the GRD II has been overshadowed by the GX200.

With the recent releases of the DP1 with it's large sensor, the LX3 with the fast f2.0 lens and Ricoh's own GX200 that has everything the GRD II has but better and as a bonus you even get a wider lens, zoom and IS, it will be difficult for Ricoh to follow up on their flagship camera.
Having said flagship camera, this can only apply to the GRD I since it is in most aspects superior to the GRD II and GX series.

Now there is a lot of talk about the new micro 4/3" format and some people wonder if Ricoh would use it for the GRD III. While it is interesting I don't see them using it for the GRD III since the GRD philosophy is that of a small fixed lens camera that fits in your pocket and I don't see a m4/3" camera being that small. Maybe m4/3" would be an option for the GX series.
Putting a APS sized sensor in the GRD III like the DP1 has would be nice but make the camera bigger and the lens slower so I don't see this happening either.

What I believe would make Ricoh stand out in the serious compacts segment is something radical and different. It needs to make the GRD again the flagship camera for Ricoh and not the camera trailing behind the GX series. But it also needs to compete with the other manufacturers.

I have two ideas of what Ricoh could do to make sure they get both things done.

First idea is to make two GRD IIIs.
The first would be a GRD IIIb with a very fast lens (f1.0 or f1.2) a small sensor (1/1.8") with 8MP but without the color layer so a pure b&w camera. This would make it the best low light camera around, since the DOF would be much bigger than on any dSLR or RF with a similar lens, the camera would be pocketable and would stand out as being one of two pure b&w digital cameras. Ricoh could add weather sealing to it, would have to use the GRD I engine and add a very fast AF system, plus a better and easy to use MF system.
The second would be a GRD IIIc and offer a slightly slower lens, f2.0 or 2.4 but a slightly larger full color sensor (2/3"). Here again, add a very fast AF system and make it weather and maybe shock proof.

The more realistic ides however is for Ricoh to try and squeeze as big a sensor (1" or 2/3") as they can in a similar sized camera with a similar lens (f2.4 or f2.8 as on the GR1) but to improve the focus speed, change the camera back to shutter priority, add the wheel on the back and make the dial on top of the camera similar to the Epson RD1s so you can also change the ISO with it. If they can now make it a weatherproof and add some gauges to display the remaining pictures but more important act as a light meter and show the exposure it would be perfect.

What are your thoughts on this, what would you like in a new GRD?

9 comments:

  1. You speculate on the features GRD III should have.
    They have been talking for over a year on Canon Forums about G10. The speculation started the day after the G9 was released.
    People think the next model will be better and consequently a "must have", but as you know from your own experience this isn't always the case.
    My second camera is a Fuji F31fd, discontinued about a year ago - Fuji are still trying to replicate, but failing, its performance in low light conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Yesbuts has made a point here. New revisions need not to be better than the older ones. Just as Wouter B. doesn´t like the GX200 as much as the GX100, you prefer the GRD1 to the GRD2, etc...

    I have to admit that I´m really in love with my GRD2. I never have used the GRD1, but I think that I would miss the faster RAW writing speed very much.

    For a GRD3, I really like your idea of a B&W low-light model, but Ricoh will never do this. :(
    Anyway, if I could make a wish that hasn´t got to be too realistic, I would LOVE a GRD3 with a lens that doesn´t move. I.e. like the old Lomo LC-A that doesn´t have a lens "coming out" of the body. This in combination with weather-sealing would make a really cool every-day camera, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent ideas, Cristian! But I'm afraid some of them are too excellent to execute for commercial market. Although GRD has never been for the majority, it can hardly be that specialized based on their past product history.

    As a keen user of GRD, I do wish your wishes come true because your thoughts are truly from the viewpoint of a real photographer who is dreaming of the best handy tool to capture THE moments.

    Have you sent Ricoh the wishlist? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also bought a second GRD before it becomes completely unavailable for purchase in the USA. After reading all I could about the GRD II, I just could not convince myself that the GRD II was step-up. After a year-and-a-half of using my GRD, I sold my Voigtlander, most of my Nikon DSLRs, and gave my Canon G7 to my son. My remaining Nikons only come out to do weddings. Yes, the B&W output is great, but the simplicity in handling and usability re-centers me on what photography is about. For me, if they could keep the GRD as the flagship camera; moving to a faster lens; and increasing the RAW buffer, that is all I would need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If there is no need to upgrade, don't upgrade. That is my experience at least. I know manufacturers want to sell more cameras, and therefore release newer models. But if your current camera is good, than don't buy a newer one.
    Now I have never owned a GRD I (unfortunately, but might as well buy one now). But since many regard the first one as the best I would suggest Ricoh to return to the previous GRD I and increase the RAW buffer for faster RAW writing speed. And than keep it like that. The best improvement would be to change the name into GR Digital 1v.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said, Wouter. My first GRD is the second version. I'd been loving it until I tried the first version. The new one is definitely more responsive but it can't compete with the old one in terms of character and feeling from the images it takes. Then, I bought a GRDI. After being completely satisfied by its image quality, I've recently bought another GRDI, which is the anniversary limited edition. Like Cristian, I have one as my back-up now.

    Generally speaking, newer versions should be better. Unfortunately, overall, this doesn't apply to GRDII. For the next GRD, just transfer those nice functions and the RAW buffer of GRDII to GRDI. Keep the image processing of GRDI untouched, otherwise I'm thinking one more GRDI. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi all !

    Sometimes, indeed, previous generation is better : i.g. the white iMac 20" versus 2008 version for its screen with higher quality for photography.

    My wishes for a new GRD :
    I'd like to have a Tv ou speed mode on the new GRD, a panorama mode and f:2 lens.
    Anyway I like my GRD (original) in color and in BW and because it's small, I can shoot when (what) I want and I feel free and happy ! It makes me better in photography because I love shooting with it : I think it's important.
    But you are right : i' d like to have a new buffer to increase raw writing and, why not, all weather body and lens.

    And Cristi, it's a good idea to buy a GRD I now : I've got mine in may this year : it was a bargain (with 3 years of warranty and Manfrotto min tripod)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all your comments, a very interesting read.

    It is certainly true that a new version does not have to be better than the older generation. Still, there is always a certain expectation taht the newer model will at least not change the proven things from the older model.

    Yesbuts, you are right people always speculate and put their wishlists online but this is part of the fun and you never know if a manufacturer might come across and see the need to implement some of the features wished for (RAW in the G9 for example).

    I agree with you Delacruz, a non retractible lens would be great, faster to turn on and more discreet if it's on, plus it would also provide a good enough sealing against rain.

    Mike, you are right that my wishlist is not as commercial as it could be but I doubt Fuji makes a lot of money on the Natura series. Also Ricoh does not seem to concerned with their camera sales and from the looks of it seem to do it more like a hobby, aside from their main business. For one they never advertise and aside from the GX200 they did not even put their logo on the front of the cameras.
    I will try to speak with the Ricoh representatives during Photokina and give them my thoughts and wishlist.

    James, you are so right with your comment. The simplicity and ease of use is what got me interested in photography and also got me to experiment. This is always underrated in any technical review where it's all about the speed, noise etc of a camera but not about the usability and fun.

    Wouter, I think you should try a GRD I now, especially since you have the GX200 and used a GX100 before. The GRD I will give you a new perspective on things and a different look for your images although you can get the same b&w quality from your old GX100.
    I hope Ricoh listens and releases a GRD 1v, this would be great, just add the buffer and better LCD, maybe some of the firmware enhancements (WB shift, MF) and the MY Settings on the dial.

    Val, I forgot about the S-priority (Tv) mode, this is something really usefull and lacking in Ricoh cameras. I don't understand why they never add this in, can't be that difficult to do. A panorama mode would also be a welcome addition.

    I believe recently quite a few people bought a GRD I either as a backup but more because of it's unique quality. This can only be a good thing and show Ricoh what people want.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cristian: "non retractible lens", that´s the word! :))

    ReplyDelete