Thursday 16 April 2009

Cobblestones

GRD, f6.3, 1/640, ISO 400, JPG b&w

Today, I've been to Düsseldorf to see a photo exhibition from Michel Comte. it was very interesting and especially his documentary pictures are great.
It was also funny to see him using a GRD II with 40mm lens in one of the video clips from his interviews.
Before and after, I took a few pictures around Düsseldorf, I did use the GRD I and ISO 400 only, for some reason this is what works best for me.
This was again a picture I planned after seeing the cobblestones but I needed something else to draw attention to. I quite like the picture, I cropped it to 1:1 format as it works better for me.

12 comments:

  1. I like the cobblestones also, but to me, the person in half is not doing it for me. It draws the attention indeed, also because of the flowing lines of the stones, but there you end with the person and you want to see it full (at least i do)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The figure provides scale. Good photo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments!

    Ronald, I tried having a full person inside but it did not quite work for me, I wanted only the legs initially but having half a person does work best I think. As Yesbuts said, it is there to provide scale more than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love its patterns. Nice B&W. The texture and pattern make your picture nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Bhuminan! The texture was what drew me to look for possible compositions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that the texture and structure of the stones is the main part of the attraction. Maybe with a little bit more local contrast this could be emphasized even more. But I still like the composition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the open space and the curving lines of the cobbles leading you to the legs. Sometimes less is more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your comments!

    Wouter, I will try to play around a bit with the contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great eye for this photo. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It does something for me :) Thanks for that Michel Comte site. Interesting that he was swinging around a GRD!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your comment James!

    I found it very interesting that he was using a GRD II with 40mm adapter and even used the onboard flash in the video.
    From some of his documentary pictures I expected him to use a GRD I instead, some prints looked like they were from the GRD I.

    ReplyDelete