Thursday 19 September 2013

Day 44 - Transfer in Xiamen


When I woke up in the morning and stepped out on deck, I could see China and all the big container ships departing or heading towards Xiamen port.






People were also out on deck enjoying the sunshine, dancing and chatting. Since there were a few tourist groups on board it was busier than on the way to Taiwan.



Using my knowledge of the Chinese queuing system, I manage to be one of the first off the boat and at the immigration desk. The immigration procedures were very fast and smooth and put the UK immigration to shame, where it always takes ages despite me having a EU passport.


The first task in Xiamen was to head to the train station and get my ticket for Nanning sorted or find a place to stay in case the train was full. I got my train ticket without problems for later in the afternoon and was set for a 28h journey to Nanning.

Since I had a few hours to spare, I headed to a nearby park and went for coffee after.





Once I boarded the train to Nanning, I had to find out that none of the plugs in the train worked so it meant 28h without power for my gadgets which were in need of a charge after being used during the day.
This put a damper on this journey as it meant not being able to do sort through my photos and try to make space on my drive. It also promised to be a very long and boring journey but I still had hope to find a working plug somewhere.


3 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work!

    I'm really enjoying your series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cristian,

    I like the "balloon" picture, with the balloons echoed on the advertisement - well observed. I wonder whether you saw the potential and waited for the balloon man or whether it was just one of those lucky moments.

    Whichever it was, well done.

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments!

    Peter, the balloon shot was a bit of luck to be in the right place and see the sign and guy coming towards it.

    ReplyDelete