Sunday 23 February 2014

Day 201 - Sukhothai Historical Park


At first I planned to get up and head to the park for sunrise but I needed some sleep and decided to bring my blog up to date. This meant I only got to the park at around lunchtime rather than the morning.




The park is split in 4 sections, the main Central section, a South, North and West section and the museum, all cost extra so you need to decided what you want to see.




Since I didn't exactly know what would expect me and how big everything is, I decided to focus only on the Central section given the time but declined the offer to rent a bike and figured I needed some exercise anyway.




Since I only focused on the Central section where all the best parts are anyway and the central part was not huge, it meant I could take my time and try different angles and perspectives for everything.




A lot of people rent bikes but it is small enough to comfortably walk it even in the heat it's not a big problem.

The park itself is quite impressive and reminded me a lot of Angkor Wat and Ayutthaya (but bigger than  Ayuthaya), you have quite a lot to see and all the different temples have their own design and different statues.


Since I missed the sunrise, I decided to stay for the sunset instead but overall given the way most temples and statues face, sunrise seems to be the best time for taking photos. This means I will be here for the sunrise tomorrow for some more photography.

A word of warning for everyone wanting to stay for the sunset and decided to stay in new Sukhothai like me, the last bus leaves at 18:00 and afterwards you have to pay 5x the price for a tuk-tuk or walk the 12km.
In hindsight, I would have just stayed in old Sukhothai as there are enough places to stay and eat there and there is nothing to be gained by staying in new Sukhothai.


No comments:

Post a Comment